Tuesday 29 July 2014

A Variety of Skills

Hello,

The SQUID samples require less material and are MUCH
easier to load - not a toothbrush in sight.
By Friday, I was coming to the end of my time with the SQUID, but managed to get some interesting results from my 9th piece... and it's looking good. However, I've discovered that placing a small sample under 1 T can produce some... interesting and lasting effects. Luckily, I shouldn't get near that with my track.

While the final tests on that were on-going, I attended an Public Engagement Workshop; it's always incredibly to spread the word of science and let people know exactly what we scientists get up to. You can judge how I do with this blog.

The afternoon, I loaded an YBCO capillary ready for some possible sneaky beamtime next week (it's so useful to compare results, with the others) and mixed up some salts in case I suddenly need to bake a new sample.

Over the weekend I had a very long night to watch the Didcot cooling towers come down. A historic moment indeed.

Monday was a slow start, mainly because my bus was very late (ah, roadworks). However, I then got into a Skills session on producing a scientific poster, a good, visual way to display scientific research. If you don't like reading complicated papers, maybe try looking over posters instead. It was followed by a talk from Prospect, a Union focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematical jobs (STEM). It was interesting to see what they thought the current issues facing scientists were.

All doors to the beam rooms have a traffic light
system to show when you can enter. Red is
firmly stay out.
The afternoon, though, I got back to my science as I cracked out the Liquid Nitrogen again to try hovering a superconductor over my track. And I manage it with both a pre-made disk AND the sample I made the end of last week (Yay!). However, they both warm up rather quickly and can't yet support the heavier train.

Things seems to be taking shape by Tuesday, as I tried to finalise the track design and help the train engine retain the coolness. Huge thanks to the Beamline technician, who hollowed out my engine to form a Nitrogen reservoir and attached the superconductor to the bottom. It was a shame that the train still seems to be heavy and the superconductor aren't quite in cold enough yet. Now trying to source a hollow plastic shell of an engine.
 
Also that day, I attended a very good lecture by Professor Bartolini. It was on the Physics of the Accelerator and explained a lot about the purpose of the dipole and quadrupole magnets to focus the beam. It was interesting to hear about some of the inner workings of the beamline that produces the radiation we use.  

Type soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment