Tuesday 15 July 2014

Beamtime!

Hello

I start by saying I hope to get my camera into a lab soon. But the past few days, I've been rather busy as I went...

From hot to cold these past few days. It started Friday, when I has not one but two furnaces heating away as I worked on another batch of capillaries. Having made:
The tablets go from a clay colour to black when heated
  •  pelleted and pelleted-halfway-through-heating (phth as I will now call it... 'cos I'm lazy) superconductor in air
  •  a unpelleted and phth superconductor with a low flow of oxygen (and the furnace did switch off and I did jump for joy)
  the final combination was pelleted in oxygen and unpelleted in air. Since the latter didn't required oxygen, I used the box furnaces instead.

This wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been making more capillaries from samples of the last four pellets in the room next door. Phew! And for the mathematician who likes to have a scoreboard:



Capillary 5  Ros 10

I also made a capillary of the salts mixed but not heated because...
Monday I had beamtime!
What's more, I froze! A student on a brief bit of work experience has a small project and for it there were three of us grinding up samples to compared usin7g the beam. And my sample needed to be kept cool, so I did it in the fridge. 
I say three of us, since there was also another intern getting a taste of lab life; he's designing software to help with the data collected on our beamline and came to have a look at what we do. Goes to show, there are a lot of people working outside the beamline rooms to get it running smoothly.
The afternoon, we actually placed  14 samples (including my superconductor samples and mixed salts) into the beam in order to get results. The beam hit the sample and we took a diffraction pattern using the detectors that surround the capillaries. The equipment at Diamond is really highly sensitive and so it gave rather wiggly lines, but by the end, I could make out distinct peaks showing a change from the mixed salt to the cooked superconductors.

Overnight, we left the detectors taking periodic scans of the mixed salts being heated and cooled in situ so we look at the phase change. That's right: I'm doing an experiment using a synchrotron.
The beamline has a traffic light warning system. Red means 'No Entry'. And yes, I hope to get a proper photo.
Coming in Tuesday morning, I'd found my capillary had... well... exploded overnight. On the bright side though, most of the measurements had been made by that point and were waiting to be analysed. 

However, the day was rather busy. There were new users setting up, a meeting with a H&S man, who told us about the 5S process of organisation, a beamline safety meeting (extremely important), tidying up in the lab ready for the monthly Health and Safety checks (like I said, extremely important) and capillaries to load of the superconductors made on Friday. 

The data rather feel by the side for the day, but we did establish that the salts would need to be mixed in a quartz capillary to survive the heating. 

Last job of the day was to put on a new superconductor to cook. I feel I'm becoming quite  chef.

And the final capillary count (inc. the colder attempts):

Capillary 9  Ros 13
 Still winning.
Type soon!
Picture from Clipart.

No comments:

Post a Comment